Re: [IP] Preferred provider's high supply prices

W-e-l-l ...

I just went through that. Got MiniMed's prices, then got prices from my
insurance company's in-net provider. My copay for MM is 50 percent; for the
in-net provider is 20 percent. It would cost me about $40 more to order from
MM, but it would cost my provider $500 more for me to order from the in-net
provider. (Because I had not yet met my deductible, it actually cost me $100
*less* to order from MM this time.)

What I did was call staff benefits and inform them of the cost difference and
ask if we could work something out. This was just a few days ago, so nothing
has been done yet, but I expect that we will come to a mutually acceptable

Staff benefits was unaware of the cost differential and was glad I brought it
to their attention. I think they are looking into some other durable medical
equipment costs as well. You might want to inform your carrier or benefits
office of the difference in prices. Actually, I would not have checked if MM
had not said I should do so and see which way was less expensive for me.

In a message dated 4/9/99 8:25:07 PM US Eastern Standard Time,