Re: [IP] I give up

Fran,  I am just like you in that I cannot eat pizza or cheesecake without my
bgs going wild for many hours.  I am strangely not jealous of those who can
however because I have become a health addict and I enjoy my fruits and
vegetables.  I have, on occasion, eaten pizza or cake, but I really can't
enjoy it because I know it will make me feel bad later.  I think this might
be the result of long term diabetes (39 years), but I'm not sure.

I tried Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution for one week.  No carbs does make
my insulin requirements go down and my bgs better.  However, this is an
impossible diet for me because I LOVE my fruits and vegetables.

Another point I would like to make and this is just my personal opinion, but
I think that people with diabetes have a harder time with weight problems,
gaining or losing.  I don't know how this is related to the diabetes, but I
think it is.  I am a normal weight now, but when I first got on the pump, I
wanted to lose 20 pounds.  I ate 1000 calorie diet, exercised everyday for 1
or 2 hours and it took me 6 months to lose one pound.  After 6 months, the
weight just fell off--probably 10 or 15 pounds (which is all I needed to lose
anyway).  The reason I am bringing this up is because I thought this was very
unusual to take so long to lose so little.  Everyone in my family is a normal
weight.  This might just be a personal characteristic, but it does seem like
that balancing food and insulin may lead to some problems with weight gain or
weight loss.  ellen