Re: [IP] Beginner Questions

> > Is it necessary to place a dressing over the EMLA cream after
> > application?
> I keeps from getting the stuff on your clothes, not really another
> reason.
>
> > and it caused a rash after only
> > being there for 1 hour.
> Check carefully for tape allergies. With some people, various tape
> will raise blisters. Very uncomfortable. If you suspect this, do a
> skin test with an assortment of tapes.

Some people are allergic to some kinds of tape.  Some people are allergic
to EMLA cream.  Some people are allergic to IV prep.  You may have to
play around and see which works best.  How much prepping might depend on
the dirt factor (a shower with good soap once a day might make a big
different but I know most 5 year olds don't hit the tub/shower every AM
or PM).   Eliminate variables one at a time.  You can use the tape with
soap and water just fine.  You just have to be clean when you start and
keep the spot reasonably clean while its in.