[IP] I give up

To everyone on the digest (at least to those to offer criticism)

I have been a little shocked over some of the comments I have gotten
through the digest.  I thought I could be myself, but obviously I can't.
The attacks aimed at people with Type II rather surprised me with the
undercurrent insinuating that those with Type II must somehow be
responsible for their condition, i.e., they eat too much and don't
exercise.  Maybe if I showed some self-control and pushed myself away from
the table I would loose weight and therefore "cure" my diabetes.
Unfortunately, that same attitude exists among the medical community as
well.  That is why it took 4 years to diagnose me as Type I or rather Type
1 1/2.

I had hoped that by offering my story I would help or encourage some of you
who are battling insulin resistance.  And some of you have been kind in
return and I am glad that I have encouraged you.

To Ted Quick, email @ redacted, who wrote: "Wll, what if you
voluntarily reduce how much carb you eat, therefore avoiding NEEDING so
much insulin?"

I currently eat 250-280 carbs per day, part of an 1800 calorie diet.  Where
would you have me cut?  Maybe I should try the new fad diet where you don't
eat any carbs at all.  (The question is retorical.) I eat a well-balanced,
healthy diet that is by no means extravagant or excessive.

Ted continues, "Reducing insulin depends on reducing carb ingestion"

There is more to reducing insulin requirements than just eating less.
Maybe I should stop taking the cortisone that I require to live?  It would
certainly reduce my insulin requirements.

I had hoped that this group would be an encouragement to me, since I have
no support here at home.  As you can tell I am a little sensitive right
now.  My doctor has taken me of my estrogen for a week in order to do some
blood work.  But the good news is I am using less insulin, about 20% less!
After all, that is the goal, isn't it?  Maybe I will stay off of the
hormones so I can maintain an acceptable dose, according to you, of
insulin.  Now if I stop eating I'll be home free.

Kim, dx 1993, pumping 7/99