Re: [IP] High Insulin Dose & Heart Disease

Kim,

I agree, First they tell you you have to take the insulin then they want to wean
you off and tell you " you have to get your bg under control"  I figure with the
family history that I have either my diabetes will get me or heart disease or
cancer.  Who know a thing called old age might too.  As for the pump in the bra
Im glad to know Im not alone.  I thought that will be great I can stick it up
there and no one will know NOT!  It sticks out further than my breast do.  I
can't imagine someone smaller than me trying that.

Donna

Kim Hughes wrote:

> My endo has read me "the info" on long-term use of high doses of insulin
> and its relationship to heart disease.  The literature also is now saying
> that long-term use of oral hyperglycemics also causes heart disease, though
> how can they know this when Glucophage and Rezulin have only been on the
> market a few years?  I really have to believe that the heart disease the we
> are seeing, especially in Type II diabetics, is more likely caused by the
> diabetes itself, poor eating habits and lack of exercise that is prevalent
> in the American population at large.  Add to that the fact that
> uncontrolled diabetes in a KNOWN cause of heart disease and I think insulin
> is getting a bum rap.  I still hear medical professionals saying that the
> goal is to use as little insulin as possible.  The endo in the county here
> I live actually said that dosing insulin to carbohydrate consumption is
> "just chasing your tail and is counter-productive"  It is too bad that his
> patients will be missing out on the wonderful freedom that pumping can
> provide.

  As for the earlier comment about finding a place to put the pump,