[IP] No Thank you to Rezulin and Glucophage

To all of you blessed people who have been suggesting Glucophage and
Rezulin, thank you, but no thank you!

To Tom who was bold enough to ask my vital stats :-), here is the whole
ugly picture!  I am 36 years old, 5"8" tall, large framed and weigh 212
pounds.  Yup, it kills me too!  The right weight for my frame and height,
according to my doctor, is 165 pounds (Weight Watchers say 125-yeh, right).
 I gained 30 pounds when I started on insulin, of course I was pregnant at
the time, and I have been struggling to maintain, let alone take it back off.

My endo suggested Rezulin.  Here is why I said no.  Before I got pregnant I
was on maximum doses of Rezulin and Glucophage, and was also on Glucotrol
and Precose.  There were weeks I didn't drop below 300.  I got the standard
lectures to follow my diet better.  I swear, I followed it to the letter!
Anyway, the third month I was on Rezulin, the second month at 400 mg, I was
pregnant.  A little known side-effect of Rezulin is that is causes
pre-menopausal women who do not ovulate to start ovulating.  So, three
months of Rezulin did what 2 years of fertility drugs couldn't do.  Being
36 and diabetic the thought of pregnancy now reaks terror in my heart! :-)
So, if I take Rezulin to lower insulin resistance I would need to take
birth control pills which would increase my insulin resistance.  See the
vicious circle?

As for Glucophage I did try that again a year ago.  I saw a decrease of
insulin requirements of 10 units, just 10%.  With the side effects of
possible liver failure, kidney failure (I already have kidney disease
unrelated to my diabetes) and lactic acidosis I felt the risks to save 10
units a day was not worth it.  My aunt died 3 days after having an
angiogram while taking Glucophage because her family doctor, cardiologist
and radiologist did not warn her to stop taking it.  When she went to the
ER, the doctor did not do any blood work, just sent her home and told her
to get some rest.  She was dead the next morning.  Glucophage is some
serious medicine with serious risks that I choose not to take to save such
a small amount of insulin.  I started to have liver problems when I was on
it 2 years ago, but that was before it was known that Glucophage can cause
this. (The doc said it was prabably my diabetes, couldn't possibly be the

I constantly wrestle with the fact that I am 50 pounds overweight.  I know
that I can lower my insulin dose and stop taking Creon (a pancreatic enzyme
I take since I can't digest food either:total pancreatic failure) and I
will start dropping weight easily.  But I know that it is better for my
health that I am 40 pounds overweight with good control of my BG than to be
a normal weight with BG in the toilet.

While some of my insulin resistance can be attributed to my weight, I take
cortisone for an adrenal gland problem. Cortisone can significantly affect
your blood sugar.  My diabetes was diagnosed 6 months after starting on it.
 I am also peri-menopausal and on estrogen which also affects insulin
requirements.  Fluctuating hormones can have some big effects on glycemic
control.  Just ask a teenager!

The first year I was on insulin was a nightmare for me.  At first I was on
NPH and R, then when I was pregnant I began to experiment with Humalog.
When I was pregnant to maintain a BG below 130 I could only eat 2 bread
units (that was before I started carb counting) per day and they couldn't
be at the same meal.  My endo felt that was fine.  I didn't.  I ended up
miscarrying but that was because the pregnancy was in serious trouble
before starting the Humalog.  And being overweight, and growing up that
way, I found it extremely difficult to get over the hurdle of eating
because the insulin was peaking rather than because I was hungry.  The pump
and Humalog is the next best thing to not being diabetic.

This is my story, be it long, and I am sticking to it!  :-)  Thank you for
your concern.

Kim dx 1993, pumping 7/99, fat since 1962!  :-))  (Double chin: grin)