[IP] High Insulin Dose & Heart Disease

My endo has read me "the info" on long-term use of high doses of insulin
and its relationship to heart disease.  The literature also is now saying
that long-term use of oral hyperglycemics also causes heart disease, though
how can they know this when Glucophage and Rezulin have only been on the
market a few years?  I really have to believe that the heart disease the we
are seeing, especially in Type II diabetics, is more likely caused by the
diabetes itself, poor eating habits and lack of exercise that is prevalent
in the American population at large.  Add to that the fact that
uncontrolled diabetes in a KNOWN cause of heart disease and I think insulin
is getting a bum rap.  I still hear medical professionals saying that the
goal is to use as little insulin as possible.  The endo in the county here
I live actually said that dosing insulin to carbohydrate consumption is
"just chasing your tail and is counter-productive"  It is too bad that his
patients will be missing out on the wonderful freedom that pumping can

I am currently on about 100 units a day, but that 100 units gives me good,
tight control.  I have read case studies of people using 300-500 units a
day who still were not controlled.  So I am back to the question, is it the
insulin or the uncontrolled diabetes that is causing the heart disease?
For now, I'll take my chances with the insulin.

A side note: I love this group.  I have learned so much in the past few
weeks.  As for the earlier comment about finding a place to put the pump,
it just doesn't fit in your bra no matter what size you are.  There is
still a big lump that people stare at trying to figure out what it is.  If
only we could get it (the pump) to beep on cue while they were staring! :-)

Kim, dx 1993, pumping 7/98