[IP] Re: Type 2 ?"s

> From: "Nancy Ludwig" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Type 2 ?'s
> I have a friend that checked her sugar this evening and it was 375 and =
> then checked it again three hours later and it was 261.  We are thinking =
> she has type 2 DM.
> So here are some questions...
> 1.  Should she go to the doctor immediately or wait till Friday to see =
> her doctor?

I'd encourage her to go now.

> 2.   She is having trouble falling asleep and then waking up.  She says =
> she feels real groggy and has trouble waking up.  Is this DM related?

Certainly could be.  A blood sugar of 375 makes me feel achy, sluggish, nauseous, and cranky.

> 3.  She has lost some feeling in her feet and hands...IF this is DM relat=
> ed, will she be able to gain some of the feeling back OR once lost, will =
> it not return?

Depends on the source of the problem.  It certainly could be diabetes-related and permanent, but not necessarily.  I'd say she needs to get her blood sugars in control, then reassess whatever other
problems/symptoms remain.

> 4.  Can she be type 1 even if she is over 40?

Yes, it's possible.

> 5.  Are there meds she can take to gain back some of the lost feelings?

See #3

> 6.  She had heard that one of the symptons of DM was weight gain.  Is thi=
> s true?  I had always heard of weight loss, but not the other, OR is this=
>  a symptom of Type 2?

Weight loss is definitely a symptom of Type 1.  Type 2 is more prevalent among people who are already overweight, so there are issues in both directions.

> 7.  She feels hungry alot.  Is this another symptom of the high sugar and type 2?

Absolutely!  It's a symptom of uncontrolled diabetes of any variety.  The body takes in food, but without sufficient insulin to convert it, the benefits of the food move right through your system and out.  Hence
the weight loss and constant hunger.

Good luck to your friend!