Re: [IP] Diabetic Mastitis(?)

In a message dated 4/6/99 5:53:04 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Anyway her diagnosis was "probably" diabetic mastitis
 which she hopes the lab results will concur. I looked up mastitis in the
 medical dictionary and it said inflammation of the breast. I had never heard
 that this could be a result of diabetes. Does anyone have more info on this?

Do any of you sometimes get the impression that docs "blame" anything they
can't explain (or don't want to research) on diabetes? I had a podiatrist
once who waved off my complaints that my foot hurt to "Well, you're a
diabetic." So I switched podiatrists. Turns out my foot hurt because I had
two fractures. Which led to two inflammed nerves. Which led to two surgeries
to remove the aforementioned inflammed nerves. Which I probably wouldn't have
gotten had the first podiatrist done some further tests instead of assuming
it was because I have DM. And none of it was because of DM -- it was because
I'm a *klutz* and fell down some steps! But it did teach me to tell my docs
that there's more to me than DM and to please do some further investigation.

Jan