Re: [IP] Meals w/ significant protien cauz my Nbolus no

Michael, I'm curious to know where you get this information.  High school
chemistry maybe ain't what it used to be.   Here are some facts that are
relatively undisputed among physiologists and physicians who apparently
were  bored by that high school chemistry teacher and didn't pay too much
attention in high school.

1.  The salivary enzyme that breaks down big starches is called
alpha-amylase.  This can cleave the starches into smaller starches, mostly
maltose and maltotriose.  No further breakdown can occur by these enzymes,
and so no glucose can be gotten from starches in the mouth.
2.  There is also very little enzymatic digestion of starches in the
stomach.  The acidity of the stomach quickly inactivates salivary amylase.
3.  Further breakdown of big starches occurs in the small intestine by a
different form of amylase, intestinal amylase, that tolerates the pH
environment in the small intestine.
4.  Further breakdown of these small starches to glucose occurs by the
epithelial cells lining the small intestine using membrane bound enzymes,
mostly dextrinase, maltase, and sucrase.
5.  Table sugar, i.e. sucrose, is a starch, just a very small one made up
of one glucose molecule and one frucose molecule.  It only needs to be
cleaved by the intestinal sucrase to yield glucose.  If it takes 2 hours
for the bg to rise after eating sucrose, then this indicates a more of a
problem with gastric motility moving sucrose through the stomach.  Once
sucrose hits the small intestine, there it will be cleaved rapidly within
in minutes or tens of minutes to glucose.
6.  A glucose tablet works fastest, because the glucose can be transported
into the blood anywhere along the GI tract, starting with the mucosa in the
7.  Neither I nor anyone else knows just how fat in the diet works, but I
don't think it somehow shields the  starches from access to enzymes.
There are also lipases in the saliva that start to break down fats to
smaller fatty acids immediately in the mouth before reaching the stomach.

Sorry for the lecture, but that's what I'm paid to do :-)

<<<<<Nope, I disagree. Starch is broken down by saliva into glucose
immediately. No further digestion is required. Other complex forms of
sugar (like sucrose) take up to 2 hours to be converted to glucose by
digestion in the stomach.

..... eat a handful of soda crackers one day and a crossiant the next
with the same carbo gram content. The fat in the crossiant will
prevent the saliva from effectively reaching the flour in the
crossiant. It will have to be digested in the stomach (source -- high
school chemistry). You will see a marked difference in absorption.

You can see similar differences in the effect of sweetened drinks.
The bg rise time will differ a lot from the same number of carbs from
a glucose tablet.
email @ redacted>>>>>>>>>>>

Wayne Mitzner
The Johns Hopkins University