Re: [IP] Meals w/ significant protien cauz my Nbolus no

> Ok Michael, I'm going to call you on this one :-)  If I eat Frosted
> Flakes my bg goes up within 15 min.  Its easy for anyone to test.
> All that sugar is absorbed quickly, some of it even before it gets
> out of the stomach. I'm not sure what you mean by "complex sugars"
> but starch is surely considered to be a complex sugar.  Starch is
> just made from sugars linked together, and all starches take time to
> be broken down

Nope, I disagree. Starch is broken down by saliva into glucose
immediately. No further digestion is required. Other complex forms of
sugar (like sucrose) take up to 2 hours to be converted to glucose by
digestion in the stomach.

..... eat a handful of soda crackers one day and a crossiant the next
with the same carbo gram content. The fat in the crossiant will
prevent the saliva from effectively reaching the flour in the
crossiant. It will have to be digested in the stomach (source -- high
school chemistry). You will see a marked difference in absorption.

You can see similar differences in the effect of sweetened drinks.
The bg rise time will differ a lot from the same number of carbs from
a glucose tablet.