Re: [IP] Questions About Silhoette Infusion Sets Again! and Velosulin?

Kim Hughes wrote:
> Ok, everybody, I guess I am dumb!

No, just switching brands which can do a job on anyone.

So you don't put a dressing over the
> entire Silhouette like you do the Softset?

Now you've got it. I ate it when they giive a sample without the instruction

 That's why I couldn't figure
> out how to disconnect, the dressing was covering the "split".  I found the
> Silhoette more comfortable for a longer period of time and saw a big
> decrease in my numbers.  They have been rather high lately.  BUT, I woke up
> about 4:00 AM with the terrible itching again!  I took the set out and
> replaced it with a Softset, this time putting it in my hip.  Now my numbers
> are back up again-upper 100s rather than lower 100s and don't want to come
> down. :-(

There may be a different absorption rate in your hip site. The abdomen is
usually the fastest insulin absorbing area. Give it a little time, if that
catch up with it increased the basal .1 units and see what happens.
> I think I want to give the Silhoettes another try (I only had the one
> sample that came with the pump) but can a different style set make such a
> difference in glycemic control?

It might, especially if you are thin and don't have the heavy layer of
fat that the MiniMed QRs demand. Call MiniMed and ask for several sample
Silhouettes. They'd much rather hav you happy and well controlled!

And if my belly is shot, i.e., needing a
> rest, at least for the time being, how do you put one of the Silhoettes in
> your backside?

There are several here who put it in the upper part just around the corner,
just below belt level. Not real easy, but manageable alone (as I understand it).

 Does someone else put them in for you?  I thought my
> husband would faint when he saw just the needle from it laying on the
> bathroom counter!  Are there other sites you can use.  I have tried the
> Softset in my arm (too cumbersome) and my leg (too painful!).

A few have tried those areas, which usually work better with Silhouetts.

> Since I am starting to run out of options as far as comfort, all that is
> left is that I have become sensitive to Humalog.

Hopefully that's not the problem. Did your site itch in the center or
all over the area covered by the adhesive? You may be allergic to the
adhesive, rather than the Humalog. If so you may need to find a tape
that you aren't allergic to and put it down first, followed by whichever
set you use, pushed through it.

I have never heard of
> Velosulin.  What is it?

It's a specially buffered Regular made by Novo/Nordisk. It was made for older
pump hoses, which clogged up with Regular insulin before Humalog became
available. Regular works just as well in a pump, IMHO. Velosulin CAN be
bought in the USA, but you need to special order it. Not really worth the

Does it have the same peak time as Humalog?

No, it's the same as Regular, and neither is really the best thing to use in
a pump. The "Tail" of a bolus catching up to you before the next meal makes a
pump too much like the old shot routines.......

> the maufacturer have a web site where I could read more about it?

Not sure, never looked. Do a search for Novo/Nordisk, I guess.

And I
> hope this is not a dumb question but is it available in the U.S.? (I only
> ask because we have so many Canadian friends helping out here on this
> maillist and there doesn't seem to be many people using it according to the
> stats about members.)  Thanks for all your help!

Few use it because Humalog ios SO much better. Incidentally it's been
found that mixing Humalog with Regular (or Velosulin) in a 5 to 1 ratio
(or less, depending on you) stabilizes it so it goes for a longer time
period, and MIGHT not cause allergy problems.

Ted Quick