[IP] re: exercise help - competitive "stress"...

Hi Diane,

	So glad that you found the post helpful... my heart always goes out to
those of us in the diabetes world who are struggling with exercise - "been
there, done that" kind of thing.  I am lucky enough to have the added
benefit of understanding the physiology behind exercise, which has helped me
so much both personally and professionally.  I am always happy to share this
in the hopes that it makes a difference for someone else.  Fear not though -
even those of us with what appears to be "all this insight", still can't
make it work sometimes! *lol*  :)

	Ted said it well.... what you are seeing is the rise related to
catecholamines released in response to "stress".  This occurs in almost
everyone involved in competition/stress.. and there is a very good
physiologic reason for it.  It assures that the energy sources needed for
the impending "fight or flight" event are readily available to the muscles
which will need it.  Although I've heard them referred to as "high end of
normal", I've actually never seen blood sugar readings or insulin levels
researched from non-diabetics in this situation.... "excuse me, I know you
are about to make your Olympic debut, but.. could I borrow a finger??  This
won't hurt a bit!"  *lol*  Natalie - are you willing to be head researcher
by chance?  *grin* I would expect that blood sugar levels of anyone in these
situations would be elevated.  Question is... how much?  And what is the
mechanism that lowers it - increased insulin levels(?), or the non-insulin
needing pathways that allow glucose to enter the cells for energy during
exercise.    I think I would correct pre-exercise "stress highs" with a
slightly lower correction factor than I typically use, knowing that the
impending exercise will lower BS further.  But remember, YMMV.  I find that
during exercise, if I am low I am truly "out of energy"... but if I am
"high" - say 200mg/dl I would tolerate that much better.  Of course I feel
*best* at optimal levels... but that doesn't always happen.   How does the
correction factor that you currently use work for her?

Always in health,
Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE