Re: [IP] The craziest situation ever in the world!!

If you have gastroparesis, this scenario makes perfect sense.  The big breakfast
with all the fat and protein will digest slowly.  Your insulin probably hit long
before any of the food.  When I am having gastrop probs like this, I will
generally bolus after meals, and for a meal like this, I might space out the
dose over many hours (the new minimed pump is great for this -- square wave).
You have to experiment to figure out just how long, sometimes it can be as much
as 6 or 7 hours and I sometimes see the remains of the meal as long as 10 or 12
hours later.  This is not a constant but after a while you will start to get the
knack of how it works.  The easiest way is to take small doses and keep testing
every hour and everytime you see yourself rising (140 or 160), take another
single unit.

>  So then I ate a
> big giant piece of cake, a big giant glass of milk and more Pepsi. At this
> point I was just trying to make sure that it would come up, even if it was
> high, so I could go to sleep. I again waited 30-45 minutes and retested.
> OKAY, this time it was 31. I mean, WHAT is going on here. I could hardly
> believe it!!!!

If you ate this food after that big meal, it probably just sat in your tummy
along with all the other stuff you'd already eaten.  Some people think milk is
fast and if you eat it alone it would be.  The protein, though, will slow the
milk down, especially after a big meal so your fastest bets would be the pepsi
or juice. No solids though.  Even the liquids will be slower than normal though
after the meal. So, when you drink them, be patient.  Sit down or lie down and
be prepared to wait 15 or 20 minutes.

>  It didn't end there though, it only just began.  I woke
> up at 3:30 or so and I felt so nauseous. I got out of bed, tested again and
> I was back around 32. I then proceeded to spending the night and morning
> throwing up and with diarrhea.  It was so lame. I had to eat because of the
> sugar being so low and I couldn't keep anything down.

All that food backed up in your stomach!  Again, drinking only juice slowly (or
pepsi or sugar water or a spoonful or two -- enough carbs to match the # of bg
you need to rise) would help you come up without overloading your tummy.

Plain sugar or honey can be good things to keep around.  Sounds like a pretty
typical gastrop scenario and when its all over, the problem is the highs which
get hard to bring down.  Spacing out your meal bolus a lot is the best
preventative measure.  If you start to get a physical sense of how full your
stomach is, you will have a sense of how effective sugar will be and know how to
address those lows.  Most importantly, try to keep measuring the carbs you take
and not over doing it to avoid those bad swings.

You probably already know this, but the easiest "cure" for gastroparesis is to
stop eating much fat and eat low protein and to space your meals widely and eat
smaller quantities at a time.  Certain foods can also help:  red bell pepper,
pineapple, peppermint and kiwi are all supposed to have an enzyme that adds the
peristalcic (not the right spelling)  movement of the digestive tract.  At any
rate, for those ocassions when you need that big high fat and protein meal, you
may want to take little or no insulin up front.  I've found the only real way to
manage these is the square wave bolus and blood test every 45 minutes to an hour
after for at least 4-6 hours.  Research shows that propulsid can be absorbed
unevenly and its effects are great when they work but unpredictable for some
people.  It also has diminishing returns and will become less effective it you
take it consistently over time.

Good luck!