Re: [IP] Exercise help!!!

Sue,  I am sure you will get many good responses to your problem.  I am
responding because I have the same problem that Amy is having.  Exercise is
complicated and requires work to figure it all out.  Also, everyone is
different so keep that in mind.  I am writing because I hope you are willing
to put forth the effort to keep Amy in sports.  I, for one, had to quit the
swim team at 12 or 13 because we never could keep my bg from going low.  It
was a heartbreaking experience for me.  Of course, this was back in the dark
ages, 36 years ago, when we did those useless urine sugar checks.

I exercise regularly, but I'm 48, so your daughter will be different of
course.  If I do intense exercise, my BG will go up like Amy's so I up my
basal(temporary increase) when I start or half way if I am exercising 2+
hours.  After intense exercise or a NEW exercise, I lower my basal between
midnight and 3 a.m.(.1) because I will always go low in the morning.  I use
to eat cereal and milk before bed without a bolus, but that would work
sometimes and not others so I just lowered the basal instead.  If my bg is
normal before exercise, I will eat 15g carbs.  Remember, this is for intense
exercise or a new exercise.  I do nothing except eat some carbs if it's
routine.  There is definitely a difference.  I exercise at least one hour
everyday so my basal rate is always geared for some exercise.
You mentioned that Amy was doing track and soccer.  Are these new sports?  I
believe she will need intense management until this workout becomes routine.
I have been running for about 2 years.  At first, my bg fluctuated alot.  I
went between reducing the basal rate and eating different amounts.  Now,
because running is so routine for me, I do nothing except take my 15g carb
before if my bg is normal.  It just is not as much exertion as it used to be.
 Before a race, like maybe for Amy before a game, my bg goes way up.  I have
tried to keep that from happening by not getting too excited, but that is
IMPOSSIBLE!  I just take more insulin.  I used to be scared that I would
crash during the race, but it hasn't happened yet.  I still haven't figured
out how to avoid the high pre-race bg.  I think alot of testing will help you
with this problem.  I know how aggravating this is, but it is definitely
worth it.  I feel so much better when I exercise.  Good luck.  ellen