Re: [IP] Re: Some Background

I don't mean to be argumentative but I don't think its an issue of respect.  Among working class immigrant groups in this country a medical profession is the most lucrative, respected, desireable career a child or family member can obtain.   Despite the fact we seem to do a terrible job of providing medical professional's decent working conditions, most people are sure medical knowledge deserves great respect.  It's up there on the list with education as an American myth.

I greatly admire your conviction and your pride. Thank you for your caring and hard work.   I am still concerned though about the questions teachers, doctors, and nurses are taught not to ask themselves.  How about the assumptions, for instance, that teachers open students minds and nurses care for people?  Learning and health care are at the very very very least complicated partnerships between equals.  Why don't we think that health care professionals ought to be learning daily about how people learn and acquire skills and information?  Why don't we think teachers ought to learn daily about their lack of cultural awareness outside academics?   These seem to be written out of the system -- especially asking ourselves daily about how to improve on our tinniest of failures without compromising our positions as professionals?  Is compassion when we feel like we have done the right thing or when we work with others to determine a a number of possible right things we can try with them?

Well, just thoughts.

JUDY102 wrote:

I guess I am not the typical student or nurse.  I took 18 credit hours at a
time after I already had 3 kids, ages 5,3, and 7 mo.  May pancreas quit
working during my 4th pregnancy.  I went 2 years without any insurance.
College was paid by a credit card. Growing up, I had no indoor plumbing (this
was in the middle 60's) or water in the cold Midwest winters. We used an
outhouse.  I grew up in Gary, Indiana.  Dad taught school.  I had a brother
who was profoundly retarded because of a bout with spinal meningitis.  He was
left deaf and with grand mal siezures for his short 21 yrs.  The point of all
this is, some of learn compassion from our own travails. I am a non-compliant
diabetic.  I am non-compliant in a lot of areas of my life, but I love people,
I love my cancer patients. I enjoy and need all my patients.  I've never grown
tired of caring about those I encounter.  I love nursing and I love what I do.
I'm proud of it.  Just like everything else, it has its problems.  Most, and I
mean this, most don't understand diabetes.  It could be the teaching
institutions fault or the students.  I don't know.  I do know that diabetes
itself is one of the most difficult disease processes to understand due to
it's complexities and variations from patient to patient. I won't address this
issue again because I don't need to convince people to respect the medical
profession.  They either do with a sharp eye, or they just lump us into one
negative group.  Good luck to those who are seeking the real answer to good
diabetes care.
Judy P.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted