[IP] Starting pump

Dan & Lisa Diener

Since I will be starting on the pump on May 4th at 8:00 a.m., my doctor
told me to take my last shot of Humilin N in the evening of May 1st.  I
will then be on R only.  I will get up at 3:00 a.m. on May 2nd and May 3rd
and take a shot of R to carry me through the night.  My doctor does not
want any N left in my body when I start the pump.  He told me to come in
with a "normal" blood sugar on May 4th.  I am not sure I will be able to do
that with only two nights of practice.  Over the past 20 years I have had
diabetes, I have learned very well how to manage things with N and R
combined, but it took me a few years to do that.  Evidently your son will
still have some Ultralente in his system when he starts the pump.  Maybe
the doctor does not want to risk DKA?

Kim Hinckel
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted