[IP] Re: Some Background

I guess I am not the typical student or nurse.  I took 18 credit hours at a
time after I already had 3 kids, ages 5,3, and 7 mo.  May pancreas quit
working during my 4th pregnancy.  I went 2 years without any insurance.
College was paid by a credit card. Growing up, I had no indoor plumbing (this
was in the middle 60's) or water in the cold Midwest winters. We used an
outhouse.  I grew up in Gary, Indiana.  Dad taught school.  I had a brother
who was profoundly retarded because of a bout with spinal meningitis.  He was
left deaf and with grand mal siezures for his short 21 yrs.  The point of all
this is, some of learn compassion from our own travails. I am a non-compliant
diabetic.  I am non-compliant in a lot of areas of my life, but I love people,
I love my cancer patients. I enjoy and need all my patients.  I've never grown
tired of caring about those I encounter.  I love nursing and I love what I do.
I'm proud of it.  Just like everything else, it has its problems.  Most, and I
mean this, most don't understand diabetes.  It could be the teaching
institutions fault or the students.  I don't know.  I do know that diabetes
itself is one of the most difficult disease processes to understand due to
it's complexities and variations from patient to patient. I won't address this
issue again because I don't need to convince people to respect the medical
profession.  They either do with a sharp eye, or they just lump us into one
negative group.  Good luck to those who are seeking the real answer to good
diabetes care.
Judy P.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted