Re: [IP] Pet Peeve

On 24 Apr 98 at 9:03, Vicki Parker McDonald wrote:

> I've been pumping less than 2 mos. but it's great -- everything about
> it.  Now comes my biggest pet peeve of my entire life...
> I've never hiddent he fact that I'm diabetic, so all my friends, most of
> my office, etc. know.  I am constantly being stopped when I have food in
> my hand by some well-meaning "friend" with a condescending, "Now, you're
> not supposed to be eating that, are you?"

It depends on the situation,  the individual and as you mentioned,
my bg level at the moment.  If they are a "medical professional" and
there are others in their profession around you can always say
something like "oh, I'm sorry.  You must have missed that continuing
education class - are you sure you're current this year?"  or simply
ask them to go find a current copy of standard treatment plans
including pump therapy and read it, then come back and talk to me.
I've also informed them that my diet plan was developed in
cooperation with the dietician and my doctor and I'm following their
instructions and since I pay those people I'll listen to them.

I've also had "fun" like last weekend at the retreat center - a
couple of the other men on the weekend are type II and arrangements
had been made to get them "sugar free" deserts.  I had a hard time
explaining to one of the kitchen helpers that the "sugar free"
chocolate pudding had more carbohydrates in it and would cause a
larger bg rise than the chocolate cake would.  I discovered several
years ago that the "sugar free" stuff was sometimes worse than the
real thing...   but doctors are still telling people that the "sugar
free" stuff is better...

Another problem is with other diabetics who have doctors
that either have them scared to death or otherwise convinced they are
going to die horribly and soon.  You know the type of situation -
"I'm diabetic and I can't eat that..."  or "You're doing something
that my doctor said would kill you..."   Then when you tell them
you're on a pump they get confused because they've never heard about
pumps, tight control or sometimes even bg monitoring.   This is
especially trying when the person is Type II and wasn't educated
about Type I.

When I'm in a good mood I can remember that they are just trying to
be helpful and attempt a little quick education.  This is the best
situation - when you can explain that your diet has been normalized
because of the pump and your bg values are better than they've been
in years.

> Okay, ranted and raved long enough.  How do others handle these
> thoughtless comments?

The best thing to do is usually to let your response be tempered by
the fact that the person thinks they are trying to help.  My goal is
to gently correct and educate, but sometimes that's hard.
Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted