[IP] exercise

This exercise business has been puzzling people for a long time, and the
mechanism is still not well understood.  When the muscle is worked hard,
this leads to physiologic processes that restore and build the muscle
cells.  These processes can continue for up to 24 h (or longer), during
which time insulin doesn't seem to be needed (or at least much less) for
the body to utilize glucose.  In my personal experience, it is only the
hard exercise or work that does this.   Low levels such as walking or even
light swimming doesn't do it (though that is still good for the
cardiovascular system).  Also more of the glucose goes into restoring the
liver glycogen that was depleted during the exercise.   If only some smart
person could figure out just what it is that makes the body use glucose so
much better after substantial exercise, then maybe we might have a new drug
to help us all.  I'm a physiologist, but not that smart :-)

<<<From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: exercise

> Then I experience a drop in my bg
> for the next 12 hrs which includes low morning readings(ex. bedtime 119
> and morning 59). Do others experience this?

Yes, this has been reported many times on the list. My daughter runs
lower bg's for 10-12 hrs after a soccer workout or series of
tournement games. Sometimes it is necessary to knock down her basals
by 0.1 at night on those days to keep her from getting too low.>>>

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446