Re: [IP] DKA

In a message dated 4/23/98 5:10:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Any one know about the chest thing?  I bet I sleep like a log tonight.
 again Judy.  That DKA post you made allowed this person to call on my endo a
Your heart muscle cells like to have glucose also, and if the glucose can't
get in there because there is not enough insulin around, then chest pain can
be present.  Also, with high BG's, water and potassium is coming out of the
cells and your cells are getting dehydrated.  The heart doesn't like that.
Extra acids are also building up with the ketones, and your lungs are trying
to get rid of it...also adding to the chest pain.  Cells don't function very
well when there is extra acid around either!  The high BG and acids are not
good for your brain and other nervous system cells either, so you can feel
very sleepy, and irritable.  All of this can be dangerous.  I hope this brief
explanation helps.  Glad you are feeling better.  It may be a combination of
stress to your body from the burn and also from loss of site absorption that
compounded the problem.  Good girl for testing extra and staying on top of the

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted