Re: [IP] went to see my endo....(thyroid)

In a message dated 4/23/98 9:54:11 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I am curious about the tests for thyroid, didn't someone say there was
>  two different test?  I have alot of the symptons with dry skin, weight
>  gain, depression, hard to swallow water, brittle fingernails, hair
>  thinning, etc,.  My endo tested my thyroid and said it was in the
>  acceptable range.  I don't know enough about to ask more, and who.  Let
>  me know..thanks Laurie

Ask to be tested for thyroid auto-antibodies.  These show up when your body
begins producing antibodies for the thyroid.  It is an indication that your
body is beginning to attack your thyroid gland.  I tested fine for thyroid
levels but high for the auto-antibodies.  Now I take a very low dose of
thyroid hormone as a preventative measure.  It is to assist my thyroid gland
so it doesn't wear itself out.

I have an excellent article from Diabetes Forecast, June 1995 on this subject.
If you would like a copy, send me your snail mail address and I will photocopy
it and send it along.  I've already sent it to several other list members.

Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted