Re: [IP] Insulin resistance

On 22 Apr 98 at 23:28, BBradRN wrote:
> In a message dated 4/22/98 10:32:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted
> writes:
> << Unfortunately there are many control freaks and idiots in the medical
>  profession.  They have a "little blue book" that they were given in
>  school that has the RULES FOR TYPE 1 DIABETICS printed in gold ink
>  and a copyright date of 1950 on it.  And they still try to fit
>  everyone into the same mold.  Then they get mad when we don't fit
>  their ideas.  Kind of like the AccuCheck Complete Meter - I was told  >>
> Sorry, Randall, this may apply to a few less informed types, but I just can't
> seem to find that "little blue book" anywhere.  Maybe they only passed it out
> in medical schools?  :<)

Unfortunately there are many of the "less informed" types floating
around...  I know several doctors who have told their diabetic
patients that "complications are going to happen so just keep your bg
somewhere around 200 to 250 so you'll feel ok".  Some of these
doctors don't like patient bg monitoring because it "interferes" with
treatment...   I saw one of these guys make a real show a few years
ago at a seminar for medical professionals on diabetes treatement.  A
few patients were invited to attend since we were known for
attempting to maintain tight control and our doctors thought we'd
benefit, but most of the people were doctors and nurses. This joker
got up and made some comments during one of the question/answer
periods about things like "his patients were too stupid and didn't
care anyway", "tight control wasn't worth the effort" and "all
diabetics cheat and won't follow the treatment plans"...     I think
he must have been mad that one of the reps didn't buy him lunch or
something, or maybe one of the other reps bought him one drink too
many at the bar...  but he has several collegues with the same

I've heard these doctors talk about "bad diabetics" several times.
One time I was asked to speak at a Saturday morning seminar on
diabetes sponsored by the local hospital.  My opening lines were
"If your doctor hasn't talked to you about good control of your bg
then you need to consider getting a new doctor.  If you've been
diabetic for over a year, most of what you have been told is wrong."
I had handouts that I had gotten from the diabetes teaching nurse
that talked about good control and current treatment ideas.  I even
talked about the need for diabetics to take charge and ask questions
instead of dumbly accepting everything the doctors and nurses said.
Several of the doctors thanked me for sharing the problems and
benefits of MDI and asked if they could tell patients to contact me.
A few got really mad at me because "I told people not to listen to
their doctors" - they wanted to dictate to the patient instead of
work with the patient.

There are many "Dr Death's" and "Nurse Ratchets" out there, but there
are an increasing number of intelligent, aware and concerned doctors
and nurses too.  This second bunch is under attack though, from the
insurance companies and others who want to limit access and "contain
Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted