[IP] priming bolus amount for silhouette vs sofset

Janet, the insert that comes with the Silhouette says to prime with 1 U
after removing the needle and connecting.  That's what I use with no
problems.  I think in addition to the longer cannula, there is more "dead
space" at the connection, so that is why the priming volume is greater than
the sofset.

<<<From: Janet Wiener <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] priming bolus amount for silhouette vs sofset

Does anyone have experience with priming both sofsets and silhouettes? I've
been using sofsets for 3 years, and add an extra 0.5 units "priming bolus"
when I change my set.

Today I inserted a silhouette. It has a longer cannula, and I thought I had
read here that the priming bolus should be 1.0 units. That was too much --
I ran low -- though there were other factors that could have contributed to
a low.

Does anyone switch back and forth between silhouettes and sofsets and know
how much the relative priming boluses are? (I'm less interested in people's
"absolute" amounts. For example, I know that some of you require a 1.0 unit
bolus for a sofset, which would be too much for me. It would be more useful
to know that "silhouettes require the same bolus as sofsets" or
"silhouettes require 0.5 MORE than sofsets".

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446