Re: [IP] Velosulin

> Likewise for my teen-aged daughter who just came back from her monthly CDE
> session....Once again, he wants her to try Humalog in her pump because her
> postprandials have been way too high...Haven't yet attempted a mixture...She's
> tried Humalog 3 times before & had the experience of going low within a few
> hours of the meal & then going into the 300s at 3:00 a.m....
Lily had to split bolus when she was on straight H in order to avoid
after meal lows. Basically she did half the bolus at meal begin and a
2 to 3 hour square bolus at the end of meal for the balance.
When she switched to a mix, she did 1/2 at meal begin and the other
half (all at once) at the end of meal (whenever that was). The
resulting post-prandials were quite flat. After a big evening meal,
she sometimes had problems with a low around midnight to 1:00am
unless the bolus and meal matched exactly. This may be your 3:00
problem. Try checking for a couple of days on 1 hour intervals from
11:00 til 3:00 . Yeah, I know it's tough, but that's how you find
out.

Michael

>.Her a.m. bgs are
> excellent, but she then becomes extremely insulin resistant, despite
> increasing her basals....CDE said he has one patient who required a bolus
> ration of 1 unit for 3 grams of carb at breakfast, but the rest of her meals
> she does 1 for 10....Anyone else heard of this disparity????????

Sounds like the effect of a night time low. It is not the breakfast
carbs but the body's need for insulin because of the low.