[IP] vitrectomy/harriet

my advice is don't bog hubby down with details.  For the vitrectomy,  you will
only be unconscious for a few hours, and only visionless for less than a day
(KNOCK ON WOOD).  Have him to a few test runs poking your finger and doing the
tests so you can tell him when he is pressing too hard.

Teach him how to give a bolus and how to suspend only - dont confuse him with
temp basals and all that.  Then write it out for him:  "If my bs is between x
and y, administer z insulin, If my bs is between m and n, administer o insulin
" and so forth.

I was awake and kicking in less than 4 hours and though I could not see (they
bandage both eyes so you aren't tempted to look around), my sister told me
what the meter said and I told her what to administer.  No one touched it
during the surgery.

Let him practice bolusing a couple times for meals and covering for highs
between now and the surgery and have him do a few blood tests - also have him
do one or two on himself so he knows he is not hurting you - that sometimes
makes people uneasy, thinking they may be hurting you.

Lastly, make sure the afternoon before the surgery, that you change the site
and set, so you are confident that you have plenty of insulin and the site is
a good one.  It would suck to run out of insulin while you are all bandaged up
and have to let the "professionals" draw up and give you and injection!!!

Will your hubby be allowed in recovery?  If not, you may have to find a nurse
who will be that you trust to give him/her a crash course.

PS:  I kept my meter with me during the surgery.  They put it and my pump in a
plastic bag (cuz GOD knows, neither of those things are very sterile).

I'll be with you in spirit...

Love Sara
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted