Re: [IP] New thread - unexplained highs - how do YOU change sets

> Bob,
> > Am I confused, am I simply mis reading this, or am I the only one who
> >  changes *before* mealtime boluses and doesn't need to leave the old set in
> >  to avoid the high BGs after a set change?
> >
> No, you are not the only one.  I was taught to change sets before a meal, just
> like you.  I almost always change it before breakfast when I have only been
> receiving basal insulin for several hours.  I haven't ever noticed insulin
> leaking out when I pull the old set out.  So, here is what I do: I get the
> insulin out of the fridge and set it on the bathroom counter so it can start
> warming. Then I take out the old set and hop in the shower.  I use this
> opportunity (with nothing adhering to my body) to scrub off all the leftover
> sticky goo.  Then I get out, dry off, and proceed with inserting the new set.
> I am particular about getting bubbles out of the syringe, and priming insulin
> through all parts of the reservoir and tubing.  Before I connect a new part
> (ie: syringe to tubing or tubing into my silhouette), I always make sure there
> is insulin all the way to the top or flowing out of the previous part. I bolus
> 0.4 or 0.5 units to fill the canula.  I have no problems with highs after a
> set change.
I think that changing before meals is probably standard.
Neither the Docs or the MM people I talked to were aware of the site
leakage problem. I suspect the "change before meals" rule is used
because it works. The "leave the set in" rule obviates the necessity
for the first rule.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted