Re: [IP] New thread - unexplained highs - how do YOU change sets?

> Am I confused, am I simply mis reading this, or am I the only one who
>  changes *before* mealtime boluses and doesn't need to leave the old set in
>  to avoid the high BGs after a set change?

No, you are not the only one.  I was taught to change sets before a meal, just
like you.  I almost always change it before breakfast when I have only been
receiving basal insulin for several hours.  I haven't ever noticed insulin
leaking out when I pull the old set out.  So, here is what I do: I get the
insulin out of the fridge and set it on the bathroom counter so it can start
warming. Then I take out the old set and hop in the shower.  I use this
opportunity (with nothing adhering to my body) to scrub off all the leftover
sticky goo.  Then I get out, dry off, and proceed with inserting the new set.
I am particular about getting bubbles out of the syringe, and priming insulin
through all parts of the reservoir and tubing.  Before I connect a new part
(ie: syringe to tubing or tubing into my silhouette), I always make sure there
is insulin all the way to the top or flowing out of the previous part. I bolus
0.4 or 0.5 units to fill the canula.  I have no problems with highs after a
set change.

Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted