[IP] Re: Not to worry. . . .

    Don't get all upset and cause more problems that you can cope with.
Count the carbs as close as you can without the scale. I didn't have one at
the start and I did just fine. . . .  I did purchase one later on but really
and truly I didn't need it. I have been diabetic for 38 years and pretty
well know how much regular insulin to take for the carbs I take in. The CDE
will help you determine what your CHO to insulin needs to be from the
amounts you are taking before the pump. Mine is 11 to 1 so for every 11
carbs I eat I have to take 1 unit of Velosulin. If I  calculate the amount
of carbs from what is on the package it is usually darn close and I shoot
for a target of 100. If I am off 50 points that is still just fine because I
can bolus some extra at the next meal for the high or go chase a few cars on
the highway and get the BG down!
    The breakfast meal for me if usually 7.5 units and it is loaded with
carbs. Lately I have been skipping lunch and don't have to bolus for dinner
and BG will hang around 125 if I don't chase any cars! LOL. I might add here
that with the heart condition I have now my lady keeps me chained up usually
and can't get out on the street so I have to calculate a little closer to
maintain a good number at noon.
    Like Sara, I can now look at a plate of groceries and guess darn close
what it will take to cover it. . . .  even restaurant food. We went to a
Bar-B-Q place in Houston this last Friday night and I got all the pork ribs
and ranch style beans and potato salad I could eat for $9.00 or so and
Saturday morning even with all the sweet sauce on them ribs my fasting BG
was 125!
    Look at what you are fixing to consume. . . . .  Calculate as close as
you can with the Info on the package. A setting at Catfish Cabin with a
baked potato and a trip to the salad bar with the "Thousand Calorie"
dressing will cost me  a bolus of 12 units of unleaded and $9.95 in cash!
That is with hush puppies and 8 or 10 saltines with the salad!
    This can be done on a budget and I have proved it can. You will get some
200's no doubt! Don't let it upset you. They will not stay up there long
just don't overreact and over bolus. Slow and easy until you see the
patterns that will develop and you learn how much Velosulin/Humalog it takes
for your favorite meals.
    Don't fret, you will do just fine and feel better than you have since
you have been diabetic!

Buddy '-)   email @ redacted