Re: Gram scales[IP] Re:

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:36:04 EDT
From: JUDY102 <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: Gram scales[IP] Re:

I wasn't comfortable addressing some issues brought up here because most
you seem to have much better HgbA1C's than I do.  I don't ever use a
scale.  I
check the packaging and take it from there.  Carbo counting isn't too
difficult for me.  I've had such a dramatic drop in all my numbers since
pump but not like some of you.  I'm almost afraid of having a Hgb A1C of
My endos in Chicago used to try to keep me at just under 200 because
the DCCT studies, they saw my blood sugars drop so dramatically with R,
15 minutes.  They were pretty shocked by how sensitive I was to R.
That's why
after the study was over they thought I wasn't a good candidate for the
They were pleasantly surprised at my success with the pump.

Packaging has made carb counting much easier, but it is also dangerous.
I have found on a number of occations the "labeled" serving size to be
as much as 100% off from the actual size.

Example:  package of bagels saying that the serving size was 1 bagel (45
gm), when the actual weight of a bagel was (100 gm).

It is for reasons like this that I REALY feel that an accurate scale is
important.  Without it, I would not have been accurately dosing and my
sugars would have gone high with seemingly no explanation.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted