Re: [IP] Bubbles in the Cartridge

John Neale wrote:
> Ted & Bob, I usually keep my current bottle at a cool room temperature.
> But this dissolved air that comes out of solution on warming would seem
> negligible, compared with the 15 units of "dead-space" between the tip
> of the needle and the end of the plunger. This is initially full of air,
> and this air gets drawn into the syringe. That's what I have trouble
> expelling, especially when it starts foaming.
> Do you not get this air coming in? If not, how do you manage this?

I always pull in 20 units or so, then push the bubble into the vial. After that
you draw the rest of the dose in. It DOES push that bubble into the insulin, but
not much way around it.
> But also I've recently been mixing H & R and drawing extra air into the
> cartridge intentionally to help the mixing: otherwise the last insulin
> drawn in will remain unmixed in the "dead space" of the syringe. This is
> quite large. This will be the first insulin down the tube and into your
> body. So the first 15 units will be mostly H, rather than a proper mix.

Yes, you just have to get the separate bubbles to join the big 1, then
expel it into the air. All of this after pulling the needle from the vial.
> But the next problem bubble is when I screw the hub of the tubing into
> the syringe. The hub is full of air, and some manages to stay in the
> hub, and form a nice sticky bubble that refuses to move - until a day
> later. Grrrrr....

I leave the needle on, put it into the hub, and fill it from the BOTTOM, which
clears the air very nicely. Be sure that the far end of the hose is held at
least as high as the hub to avoid siphoning any off. Overfill it slightly so
the insulin is domed above the top of the hub, get the syringe the same, and
flip the syringe up into the hub.If filling the hose for the first time, vs a
refill, hold the hub with the hose reversed in a fairly tight curve, going
back up above the hub, so it doesn't just keep draining down from the hub.
You lose a bit of insulin, but there aren't any bubbles there if it's done

I also hang the pump on my belt with the hose pointed down so any bubbles
still in the hub have a chance to rise to the plunger, rather than feeding into
the hose.
Ted Quick
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted