[IP] Recent Hospitalization

Lurking Lynne here,

   Hi again.  I have read almost every post in last couple months. As you may
(or may not) recall,  I am the one whose right arm was "flopping oddly about".
   After 4 months of NO bone growth, and separation of break, I had surgery
last week (4-7) to place a 'hollow nail' down shaft of arm.  I spoke to my
Ortho prior to surgery about pump and he wrote orders to leave pump in place
and that I was to decide on amts of insulin to take and when to check bg.
   I was VERY, EXTREMELY nervous about this as I do not currently have an endo
and my PCP was away on maternity leave!
   I then spoke with the RN who was my nurse that day in OR and explained
briefly about my "artificial pancreas' (OH, I placed it in the 'sports guard',
just to be sure no buttons got hit). When the nurse was telling me what was to
happen in surgery, and that the whole operation was to be done under X-Ray, my
husband piped up "You will need to shield her pump.". She said, "No problem, I
will place it on your legs, and shield it with a lead collar, that way you
won't have to have a lead vest on the whole time."   (must admit, I was
shocked at this point as all seemed to be going like clockwork).
    Next, the Anesthesiologist arrived to start my IV of Lactated Ringers.
(Took him 4 tries!).  We also discussed my pump and I told him it was ok to
give small injection of Regular if, for some crazy reason, my bg's sky
rocketed. He agreed and said he'd check bg every two hours. (must be a quartz
clock ;-) )
    My bg prior to surgery was 178 (nerves, etc). Surgery took four hours, bgs
rose slightly to 210 during, then took extra three units to keep below 200. I
spent the night as I was not able to keep fluids down for several hours and
couldn't be weaned from oxygen easily.
    From the minute I woke up in recovery, to the time I went home, the staff
allowed me to check bg and bolus what I wanted and when I wanted!  I did use
their meters, because (as a nurse myself) I understand the controls they have
to do. But I used my lancets and device cause they have the old ones that
HURT. The hardest thing, was knowing what to bolus, as I did not get a menu to
choose from and I use Velosulin. All in all it was a MUCH better experience
than I had hoped for.
    I believe the key was "No Nonsense Communication, in a friendly manner". I
was frightened, because when I had surgery a couple of years ago for frozen
left shoulder my ENDO (of all people), had me remove my pump and admitted me
to hospital the night prior to surgery, and kept me till day after. (usually
an outpt surgery).
    With all this rambling, guess I am trying to say THANK YOU, to all of you.
Because of this list, I had the confidence that I knew what I was doing, even
without an endo, and would survive !
    Have very little movement of fingers, wrist, elbow or shoulder at this
point and hoping I get this back soon!  Dr does not want me in official
therapy this soon so am doing exercises at home.  Am anxious to get back to
work, as finances are tight after nearly 5 months on disability.
 IDDM 28 yrs, MM 506 4 years
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted