Re: [IP] Bubbles in the Cartridge

John Neale wrote:

> This is my biggest problem when set changing. A 5 minute set change
> suddenly becomes a 30 minute set change. The more I flick the cartridge,
> the more the bubbles seem to foam and split up. And then they stick to
> side of the cartridge...  Then one day later then little bubbles have
> reformed a big bubble and it's got into the tubing... I once had an
> unexpected high in the morning which I put down to a large bubble in the
> tubing: 1 unit = 2 inchs of tubing bubble, so a 6 inch bubble is going
> to deny my 3 units of insulin, and over night at 0.6 iu/h that's 5 hours
> without insulin!
>
> I've found being very slow and steady seems to pay off. I reckon that
> the lubricant inside the Minimed cartridge (which of course we now
> spread around so nicely...) attracts the bubbles and repels the liquid,
> making the problem a lot worse.

Actually it may be more a problem of cold insulin, which you likely just
took out of the fridge, releasing air that was in solution as it warms up.
Best thing to do is warm up the bottle slightly with your hands before
filling the syringe, then warm the syringe up with the insulin in it.
Just roll it between your fingers till it feels warm.

> When you're mixing H&R you haven't got the option of squirting it back
> into the vial and starting again. I've thought of premixing my H&R in
> its own bottle to make filling easier.

You could do that. Also think about drawing some airt into the bottle
after taking the needle out of the vial and rolling it around to collect
the small bubbles in there. This will also warm up the insulin better.
Small bubbles won't always want to join the main bubble, just cluster
on it's surface, but you can just keep moving it around till they do.
Doesn't really take very long once you get it into the routine.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted