Re: [IP] Re: sites for lean pumpers (and children!)

Cheri & Company,

It's been a long time since I thought about it, but I think I remember that
sof-sets are the length they are b/c if they are any shorter you can't get the
whole thing in tightly enough without pulling the catheater out with the
needle and because the catheater used to crimp if any shorter.

I started pumping 17 (18?) years ago and was a very small and pretty skinny 15
year old with lots of needle problems.  I remember that a nurse at the
hospital I went to hooked up the sort of equivalent to the sofset
needle/catheater once for me and we were able to try different sizes.  These
were not for pumps, they were used in the pediatrics ward to infuse
medications to long term kids.  At that time, we could only get the longer
ones to stay in, although shorter ones (about the length of the sofsets)
stayed in veins on the ward pretty well. They were harder to insert than our
pump needles - I think all syringes were just thicker then or maybe my memory
is a little biased.

I know there was lots of discussion about what minimed ought to do and I know
they took a long long time developing sofsets -- I think I remember being told
it was b/c it is so difficult to insure they don't crimp.  Remember that these
sets are a pretty radical departure from the old needles -- which used to rub
dreadfully.

I hope minimed can come up with something shorter!

Ruth