Re: [IP] Getting anxious

> Partially, I think its because I don't have a good mental picture of what
>  all the things that are written about here even look like. Yes, I've seen
>  the little pictures... but it's not quite the same as actually seeing the
>  items. I'm supposedly getting the MiniMed 507, but I've never actually seen
>  one. I've heard you all talking about 1,001 flavors of infusion sets, but I
>  don't have a clue as to what they really look like and how they actually
>  work (I'm a visual/tactile learner). I then start thinking: "Arrghh!! What
>  have I gotten myself into...??"
How about asking your endo if there is another patient in his practice who is
pumping who would be willing to talk with you?  I talked to a pumper patient
of my endo's on the phone before I said the big "yes!" and it was a big help.
I'm sure that she would have met with me in person if I had asked.  But just
talking to her was a big help.  That was before this group existed, I think.
She was able to answer all of my questions and relieve some of my anxieties.

As far as infusion sets go.... I think the standard set sent with the MM507 is
the 42" sof-set.  I used these for about 11 months before switching to the
silhouettes.  In my opinion, the silhouettes are much easier to use,
especially if you are lacking in abdominal fat.  You can probably request them
to be shipped with your pump if you want.  One word of "warning" about the
sof-sets----  When I opened my box of pump supplies I almost started
hyperventilating when I looked at the sof-sets.  I thought, "there's no way
I'm going to be able to stick that thing into me!"  Now I sheepishly admit, I
was looking at the needle guard which is about 1/8 inch diameter and thought
that was the canula!  This does not go into you, you pull it off before
inserting the needle.  I felt much better when I realized that...

Hang in there, it is a good sign that you are having concerns.  It shows that
you are really thinking about the decision to pump.  Pumping is fantastic!
You won't regret it once you get over all the "newbie" hurdles.  And it will
make it so much easier for you to react to your insulin "swings".  They may
even disappear as the problem might be related to long-acting insulin.

Best Wishes,
Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted