[IP] S.O.S from new pumper

Group question:
    I'm "cutting & pasting" together here excerpts from my friend Cindi's e-
mail about her daughter Ashley's experience starting on the pump this week.
BTW, Ashley is the "youngest pumper at age 12" mentioned in my letter from
Joslin (from Ashley's doc I believe)..Thought you'd all appreciate the mom's
perspective!..Cindi doesn't have the time to join the board right now so I'ave
been forwarding to her (and about a dozen others) pertinent posts, but today
she ran into an issue that I couldn't answer since my 15 yr old Melissa does
all her set changes "in privacy"!! LOL..
    So if anyone can offer Cindi & Ashley some advice about the filling of the
reservoirs, you can e-mail her directly at     email @ redacted
Make sure you type in the "underline mark" or it won't get there!!!...

When I think back when the word "pump" wasn't even in our
vocabulary..........and if Jeff hadn't started the CWD chat
thing...........and I hadn't tapped into the resources & info that folks so
willingly share.......we'd still be ripping out our hair on this end with
the montrous bgs we've been dealing with!!!  Yes, what a difference already
in A's bgs!!

I know Joslin is very reluctant about pumping for kids..........I guess we
had all the right stuff as Ashley was approved.  It's my understanding that
she is Joslin's youngest pumper, so we have to work extra hard to prove by
Ashley's success that kids younger than her should be afforded the chance.
This much I WILL do, I WILL make it my personal cause to prove that any age
"kid" should be afforded the opportunity to pump

Ashley started H on Tuesday, 4/14 - she nearly floored the CDE & MMed rep
with her "expertise" at changing her infusion set!!  But, naturally, what
DID they expect, an fumbling fool?????  I managed to sit there with a
plastic smile on my face, like a cat who got the canary.  Seriously, the
CDE & MMed rep (who is a pump user) have been wonderful to us.  The rep was
there on 4/09 & 4/14 and will be there when we return on 4/23.  Talk about
customer service!!  And not to mention, because the rep is a pumper, she
can offer alternative suggestions through her personal experience, etc.

I was cautioned by Dr. M on 4/09 to address all pump issues with them (not
those of you who know what-the-hell they're doing)........I assured her
that I would address all pump issues of a medical nature (i.e., basals &
boluses, etc.) to her or the CDE, BUT I would continue to seek support from
experienced people...........if looks could kill, I'd have been prostrate
on the floor!  I think she decided NOT to pursue it with me, after the
clipped manner by which I responded to her.  I'm not kidding, if they think
they are going to own us, forget it!  They should be grovelling to me,
since Ashley will now prove just how wrong they are about kids being "too
young", etc.

I do need a little "help"...........I think MMed sent me the
reservoirs-from-hell (but I know it's really me)!  Keep in mind, Ashley did
her 4th infusion set change since starting the pump on 4/09 this
morning.....I always fill the reservoirs, since to us, this is clearly the
most challenging part of pumping (so far) - Humalog was at room
temp.......I had bubbles all over the place.  When I tapped on the
reservoir to get them to disperse, I knocked the needle right off of the
reservoir & Humalog went all over the place!!!  2nd reservoir I perfectly
filled, no bubbles, so I thought.......attached it to the softset, inserted
it into the pump & I saw a big bubble that wasn't there before (grrrrrr)!!
Third reservoir.............OK.  So it cost me 2 reservoirs & 1 softset
just to get one reservoir filled!!  We had NO problems either 4/09 or 4/14
infront of the CDE (mercifully!).  So what I'm asking is:  Do you have any
tricks to this otherwise nearly impossible feat (filling reservoirs)??

Tho' I will never admit it to Joslin, the initial preparations to pumping,
are in fact exhausting!  Ashley does 12 bgs per day & will continue to do
so until all adjustments have been made & rates established.  This means I
get up at 12 mid-night and 3 a.m. for those bgs & usually don't go back to
sleep after the 3am bg, why bother, I get up at 4:30am & once woken up,
it's always hard for me to go back to sleep.  I liken this entire routine
to having a new baby in the house that you feed every two hours!!  AND the
crash course we took in pumping after the pump w/video arrived!!  It was
all foreign at that point but slowly each time we viewed the video, it
began to make sense & became clearer.  Ashley has done most of the work in
learning how to operate the screens & has done a remarkable job at that too
(like HELLO, what did anyone expect????).  Now A is a pro at it!!  & I'm a
pro at going w/out sleep!!

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted