RE: [IP] Batteries

In general, your battery life will be determined by how much drain is placed
on them. I know this may sound a bit simplistic, but that's the way it is

Things which come to mind that contribute to "battery drain" (note that
these are normal, everyday pump activities):

For MiniMed pumps:

Use of backlight feature; audio bolus; high basal rates (pump motor strokes
more frequently); priming the infusion sets; boluses; alarms.

For Disetronic pumps:

Audio bolus (standard feature); high basal rates; priming the infusion sets;
placing pump in "stop mode" (the pump will beep at you to remind you it is
stopped. The MiniMed may have a similar feature, in which case, its
batteries also get used by the alarm).

Probably the biggest variables for each pump are your basal rates, bolus
amounts, amount of priming done, and use of "additional features" such as
the backlight on the MiniMed. If you are trying to conserve your batteries,
it might be wise to limit use of things like the backlight feature and
carefully monitor how much priming you do.

I think you should get more than 1 1/2 months from your batteries. I thought
the average was close to 2 or 2 1/2 months. But, as in all things diabetic,

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted