Re: [IP] Pumps at school

<< > I was just sort of curious about something from the parents of pumpers.
 > have heard that many schools don't allow kids to bring pagers to school
 > because of its relationship to drug selling.  Have any of the kids been
 > questioned about their pump as if it was an illicit pager?  It seems like
 > could be a funny situation.
 No for Lily, but it has created some funny situations. When she has a
 temporary basal going of course it beeps - but only a few times. She
 has had one teacher hunt all around for the kid with the pager - she
 never even suspected it was Lily. Lily got quite a laugh from that
 and never did tell the teacher.  All her teachers know she is
 diabetic and uses a pump.

My .02 from a teacher's view.  I taught in a school of 1500 students, and our
policy was to make sure EVERY staff member knew the kids that had medical
conditions.  At the first faculty meeting of the year we were all given a
rundown of which kids might need intervention in cases of emergency.  Of
course the parents gave consent first. I know of several cases where that
information came in handy: one was with a substitute that didn't know what to
do with a student that had a seizure, one was with a diabetic that had a low
during a fire drill, and one was with a diabetic stuck in a classroom during a
lock-down and lunch was missed.  It's a good idea to make sure people in the
building, other than a few teachers, know your child is diabetic.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted