Re: [IP] Too shy to pump?

>  she has never been really open about talking to
> others about her diabetes.  She says it's embarrasing for her to talk
> about it.  Obviously, the pump will certainly cause inquiries from
> others!  I think her uneasiness is more at school than anything else.  I
> suggested going to her classroom and doing some sort of short
> presentation.

I think it has something to do with the shots. Lily's attitude about
it seemed to me to be much more open when she no longer had to do
shots. Look at it from her viewpoint. You don't have to go hide
somewhere and take of half your clothes or lift skirts to do an
injection, you just push buttons.  Lily rarely gets questions and
when she does they are usually thoughtful and curious. She answers
them matter-of-factly and usually leave the questioner a little in
awe.  I have handed out a 1-2 page description to her teachers
(middle shool, not highschool) describing diabetes, tight control and
the pump. Usually it has served both to educate them and scare the
c--p out of them (not intentionally). Most of her teachers in middle
school worried about her every time she got a little irritable,
thinking she might be low.

I am certain that a pump will do nothing but increase Stephanie's
self esteem.  It generally puts even most adults in awe when the see
a kid useing this kind of equipment.

Michael dad of Lily 14, pumping 3 years
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted