Re: [IP] Feedback, PLEASE (insurance approval troubles) !!

Sam Skopp wrote:
> I'm glad to hear about CIGNA. I'm just starting the process of getting a pump
> and am waiting for all the insurance stuff to go through. I have CIGNA (the
> version, not HMO) and I didn't know for sure what their attitude would be.
> They've been really good about diabetic supplies, like test-strips, though.
> Does CIGNA cover all of the pump supplies too? I currently get all my diabetic
> stuff through TelDrug (this is what CIGNA wanted me to use).
> Thanks.
> Sam
> At 04/10/98 - 06:51 AM Amilcar Vazquez wrote:
> >I don't know if that's normal; I use CIGNA Healthcare, an HMO. I live in
> >Orlando, FL, and under our state laws, ANY HMO or insurance policy sold
> >in the state MUST cover ALL medically necessary supplies and services.
> >Even without that law, CIGNA's benefits cover pumps, once the primary
> >physician tells them that it is necessary for the patient. Once CIGNA
> >approves you, you're covered, no "we'll see if we let you keep it" bull.
> >
> >You may want to contact your local consumer agencies, and ask them if
> >your insurance firm is allowed to do this. Florida has an office that
> >deals specifically with consumer insurance problems.

Yes, they do, so long as my primary physician or my endo gives me a
prescription, which I fill at any drugstore that accepts CIGNA,
including Wal-mart, Walgreens, etc. All my strips, lancets, insulin,
etc. is covered.

For Pump batteries, infusion sets, etc., I call Insulin Infusion
Specialties, the CIGNA-authorized supplier, at their 800 number, and
they mail out whatever I need, no problem. No paperwork is required, and
CIGNA pays them, not me.

Amil Vazquez
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted