Overnight highs, was: Re: [IP] Mystery challenge - Where did the 9.9 units go?

James Watson wrote:

> I cannot help explain where Lily's 9.9 units went, but I can say that when
> we go skiing, I often have highs that are very hard to explain.
> I can ski and test throughout the day and generally do ok (target 135-175),
> and my bg's can be good through the evening, my problem is overnight.  I
> can have my sugars soar well over 300.  I often have to set a temporary
> basal of 130%, just to keep my sugar reasonable.  I think that the exercise
> is the cause, but I cannot offer specifics.  If you come across something,
> I would be interested.

Are you sure the exercise didn't come back to haunt you in the middle of
the night? A hypo at 3:00 AM can lead to the Symogyi Effect, where your
emergency response to the low will dump a lot of glycogen (which ends up making
glucose) from the liver to save your life, but it's almost ALWAYS too much.
This leaves you with a high in the morning NOT based on too MUCH bg during
the night, but too LITTLE.

Suggest you set an alarm for 2:00 or 3:00 AM after a day like that and see
if you were going low then. If so, REDUCE your dose during the night, raising
it can be dangerous!

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42 years (as of today), MM506 pump with Humalog