Re: [IP] Child anxiety during set changes

Hi Debbie-
I don't have children, but used to be a teacher.  How old is TJ?  Are
you putting the set in or do you let TJ do it?

Sometimes "play" can alleviate fear.  Make a game out of it.  Do a
"rocket count down" or a similar "game" where he gets to participate.
Let him jab some sets into oranges or grapefruits.

I have a friend with a 4 year old daughter who has to take daily growth
hormone injections until she is 15.  My friend asked me for advice a few
months before the scheduled injections where to begin.  I suggested she
buy a "play dr. kit."  I gave her a box of my syringes.  We removed the
needles from some of the syringes and put them in the kit.  We filled
them with water and let her give her dollies shots.  Although her
parents administer her injections, this gave her time to get "used" to a
syringe and what it does.  We even let her fill a couple with water and
squirt them at us.  The dr. then sent home a bottle of saline for the
parents to practice injections.  They practiced on oranges and each
other and let Chelsea watch before they practiced on her.  Mom & Dad
didn't cry, so little Chelsea didn't cry either.  They even let Chelsea
inject Mom & Dad with saline.  She was all smiles.

She received her first growth hormone shot at the dr.'s office a few
months ago and was a real champ.  When the dr. pulled out syringe, she
knew exactly what it was and even told the dr. what it was.  Needless to
say the dr. was surprised that this little 4 year old showed no fear and
shed no tears.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with TJ.

Becky D.

Timmy and Debbie wrote:
> A Question to the parents who have kids on the pump:
> I'm having some trouble whenever we need to change the infusion set on
> TJ....He gets frightened and it takes quite a bit of time to calm him down
> enough to cooperate. We have used emla creme and also an ice cube to numb
> the skin first but he's still afraid of pain....Once the set is in he
> doesn't have a problem with it. Any suggestions on how to make set changes
> easier?
> We are currrently using softsets with the inserter and have tried the
> siloette once. TJ likes the softset better because of the inserter. However
> we have had some trouble with the softset pulling out...
> Thanks for any advice.
> Debbie

Becky Draper
Hammond, WI