Re: [IP] Child anxiety during set changes

> A Question to the parents who have kids on the pump:
> I'm having some trouble whenever we need to change the infusion set on
> TJ....He gets frightened and it takes quite a bit of time to calm him down
> enough to cooperate. We have used emla creme and also an ice cube to numb
> the skin first but he's still afraid of pain....Once the set is in he
> doesn't have a problem with it. Any suggestions on how to make set changes
> easier?
> We are currrently using softsets with the inserter and have tried the
> siloette once. TJ likes the softset better because of the inserter. However
> we have had some trouble with the softset pulling out...

I'm sorry, I don't know TJ's age, but you should make every effort to
have him do it himself. He will feel much more in control and while
it still may be scary, it will not be uncontrolable. When my daughter
used bent needles, it sometimes took her an hour or more to insert
the needle. She would, however, not let us go near her, whe wished to
remain in control.

Given the choice of injections or changing her set every 3 - 4 days,
she much preferred the set change.

Hope this helps

Michael <email @ redacted>