[IP] Velosulin vs. Humalog

-- BEGIN included message

Hi everyone.  We went to the endo Friday for pump training for our daughter
Kayla (5 yrs. old).  They sent us home with a loaner pump for two weeks and I
have to wear it for 3 days, then hubby, then Kayla for a week with one
infusion set change.  Sounds like a good idea to me and gives all of us the
chance to feel what we think we are willing to subject Kayla to.  But that's a
whole 'nother story...

We discussed using Humalog vs. Velosulin.  "They" seem to think we need to use
diluted Velosulin because her basal rates are going to be so small.  With a
diluant she will get more pulses of insulin, and if an occlusion occurs, we
aren't 6 hours down the road before the pump alarms.  (We're using the MiniMed
507.)  "They" said Humalog cannot be diluted, so we should use Velosulin.
Right now her total daily insulin intake is around 15 units NPH & H (9 1/2 N
and sliding H).  Her pump dosage is expected to be 20-30% lower, so that would
mean small basals.

A few questions:
Can Humalog be diluted?
If not, do we really need diluted insulin because of very low basal rates?  It
seems if we are checking BG's diligently, we'd catch occlusions before the

We've been using Humalog for about a year and love it's predictability.
Before H we were using Regular and had lots of trouble.  I don't want to get
into that unpredictability again.

Thanks for any insights.

-- END included message