Hi Iona-

I too am on ace inhibitors, but my bladder infection problems started
WAY before that.  I don't think ace inhibitors are related to your
bladder infection, but you may want to bring it up with your doc.

The docs never did figure out why I kept getting them so often.  I saw a
urologist for many years with this problem.  He was very good.  He
thought maybe it just had something to do with my anatomy.  At first I
thought it was because of my diabetes.  He didn't think so.  He did lots
and lots of tests, and came up with the long term low dose of antibiotic
treatment.  He also gave me a prescription that I could get filled
ANYTIME for full strength antibiotics and pyridium whenever I had a
reoccurrence.  Finally a dr. who understood that bladder infections
don't always coincide with a dr.'s office hours!!

Here are some tips he gave me for avoiding bladder infections:
     Always pee after sex (I know this sounds funny)
     Don't consume too much caffeine
     Drink Cranberry juice
     Drink lots of water (even when you don't have a bladder infection)
     Always pee when nature calls (don't wait too long)
     And of course, watch the bg's

I have followed his advice, and am no longer on the low dose antibiotic
treatment.  I've only had 2 reoccurrences, and I am very embarrassed to
say they both happened when my hubby and I got a little "frisky" in our
new hot tub.  So no more s-x in the hot tub.  My hubby understands, what
a nice guy.

Hope this helps.  If frequent bladder infection problems persist, do not
hesitate to seek the help of urologist.  I suffered from this problem
for years before I was smart enough to do so.

Hope you're feeling better.
Becky D.

Ionam wrote:
> Lori, Carolyn, Roz, Becky and Michelle
> Thanks for your support and verbal "kick in the butt".  I contacted my endo
> and he called in a prescription for antibiotics.   I haven't had one of these
> infections for years and years.  Can I expect these as a common occurence with
> the big 'D'?  I've been insulin dependent since July, '93.  My doctor put me
> on a ace inhibitor to protect my kidneys about a week ago.  Could I have
> gotten this from the medication?
> Thanks again.
> Iona

Becky Draper