Re: [IP] starting on the pump

email @ redacted wrote:
> Well, the Blues finally preapproved the pump, and I received the box with
> all the stuff yesterday.  Now I'm trying to figure it all out.  I wonder if
> I could get some suggestions on where to stick the silouettes.  The
> literature says most people use the abdomen, but I wonder how far around to
> the side people go.

There are areas to use, and areas that should never be used. Point it, the
needs to be in fatty tissue, which is found in cetain areas of the abdomen, on
the hips, and top of the gluteuos maximus. The central abdominal areas are in
kkidney shaped patterns centered around the naval on each side, and 2 areas
farther down on each side. Look for the areas that curve outward, that's the
easiest method. The flatter muscular areas between aren't good, since shooting
into muscle tissue gets the insulin working faster, and may disrupt control.

The hips have a saddle of fat on top of them. If you can pinch it up easily it's
the place (same for all areas I mention). Likewise at the back, slightly below
belt level on each side. Whether you can see to put it there, or reach,
for that matter, is a whole other discusion!

 Also any other sites used?  Any tricks to determine
> the starting basal rates?  The Minimed book has some formulas, but maybe
> there are some other insights from those in the trenches.  How did everyone
> get started?

My doctor prescribed for me at the start, I tried it and adjusted up from there.
He was pretty close, I only needed to tweak it a bit. Anyway, the total daily
dosage will be somewhat less than when on shots, likely in the area of 60 to 70%
as much. Boluses need to be set for your needs, but mine are slightly less than
10% of the daily total dosage for breakfast and supper, about 6 percent for
That is MY pattern, yours may vary considerably! Very much YMMV, but you do
need to start somewhere.

It would be nice if Minimed had some warm body to talk to.
> The sales people dropped out after they got my money :-)

MiniMed does have people to answer technical questions, call the number on
the back of the pump. They're better than the sales people, but may not
want to venture too far into beginning doses, since they are there to
handle problems with the pumps, such as breakdowns or difficulties in
the mechanism. It's an 800 number, no harm in calling to ask!

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42 years (minus 2 days), MM506 pump with Humalog