Re: [IP] DKA and Ketones

<< Most recommendations re: prevention of DKA are centered around *prompt
 action* when BGs get above 240, remain there and ketones are present.
 Injection by syringe of fast acting regular, changing the infusion set,
 tubing, reservoir / cartridge are also recommended. "Copious amounts of
 fluid" are recommended, but can be a challenge, since "impending DKA" may
 make the pumper nauseous.

we've dealt with impending DKA a few times when Kayla was sick.  She never
progressed to DKA (THANK GOD), but was at the threshold.  We were told that
when moderate to large ketones are present, we are to take 15% of her total
daily insulin dose and give that much in Humalog every two hours until the
ketones are gone.  Of course, she had to drink a lot, too to help flush the
ketones out of her system.  Beware that in cases of illness, ketones can also
be present with LOW blood sugars.  So it's a good idea to check for them
whenever BG is above 240, or in cases of illness even with normal or low