[IP] how long does it take

Hello there...It's my wife who usually posts here but today it's my turn...
I'm wondering how long it took you all to get your basal rates and bolus
ratios set...
Our endo insists on keeping our son TJ on Ultralente (one a day injection)
along with Humalog in the pump..For three days now we have been trying to
set basal rates and boluses and well, it's been nothing but eratic..60 to
600....If any of you can tell me how long it took you I'd appreciate it
   I have reluctantly agreed to allow the Doc to try this method (for a
while) because arguing about it in front of TJ isn't a good thing ......He
needs to think all is going well...is it? I just have nothing to compare

 also..any further comments about the use of Ultralente along with a pump
will be greatly appreciated...I just wish there were some literature to
back up this method..I'm having a very hard time coming to grips with it
seeing as so many are having such successes the "standard" way...

Thanks so much