Re: [IP] Pump and Surgery

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Surgery itself is not much of a problem.  The usual difficulty is that most
hospital staff and doctors are unfamiliar with the whole concept of
pumping.  You need to make sure that your CDE or a doctor you can trust
writes orders that SPECIFICALLY allow you to monitor your BGs (the hospital
will try to keep them in the 200-300 range which tends to mean I go home
pretty sick), respond to them with insulin and provide accurate
insulin/sugar coverage.  For instance, if they put you on an iv you must
have insulin to compensate.  Take numbers (how much you take per this and
that) in (hard copies!), especially your high BG scale.  They will tend to
make you eat, blood test, and take insulin but they tend to entirely
disconnect these activities from one another.  I have, for instance, been
told I must eat a meal, been allowed to blood test 2-5 hours after the meal
and then been given insulin several hours after that.  A smart doctor will
write orders that clearly demonstrate the relationships between these
activities and that authorize you to make insulin and food decision BASED ON
BLOOD TESTS.  Just in case, take your own meter and don't give it up the
first day!

Best of luck!