[IP] Re: Insurance Hassle

what is going to happen to those of us who happen to
make it to
Medicare eligility if that is our only insurance??

Crystal, Not only is it ridiculous that your
insurance comapany bases their benefits on Medicare,
but a more ludicrous part of it is that Medicaid pays
for pump supplies, and Medicare doesn't, because they
say it is "still in the experimental stage!" They do
subsidize more for those who inject. Now that's
discrimination that could filter down to everyone.
Let's lobby!

Never surrender, and good for you for not letting
them intimidate you!

---insulin-pumpers-digest
<email @ redacted> wrote:

> insulin-pumpers-digest      Sunday, April 5 1998
  Volume 02 : Number 207

> Date: Sun, 5 Apr 98 19:27:17 UT
> From: "Patrick May" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: RE: [IP] WANTED:SOF-SERTER & Glucometer
Elite

> Hi Ernie - I just read your e-mail from 3.14.98 (I
only have some 5000 e-mails
> to read!) and saw you were interested in getting
another elite meter.  I run a
> business called Diabetes Resource Center and at the
present we are doing free
> elites for a trade-in.  If you are interested, you
could call 650.697.0233 or
> e-mail me back.  I'll try to watch for an e-mail
from you.  I was able to get
> my soft-serter free from Mini-Med with an invoice
showing purchases of
> soft-sets, although that promotion ended some time
ago.  But it certainly
> would be worth a call to Mini-Med.  I find most
manufacturer's are fairly
> accomadating, as long as you are using their
products!  Susan May -
> email @ redacted
>
> - ----------
ernie garcia
> Sent: 	Thursday, March 12, 1998 11:19 PM
> To: 	email @ redacted
> Subject: 	[IP] WANTED:SOF-SERTER & Glucometer Elite
>
> Hi,
> I'm trying to build-up my backup kit, and I'm stuck
on two items:

> Minimed's Sof-Serter
> & a Glucometer Elite (BG meter by Bayer).
>
> Anyone have either, or both of these they'd like to
get rid of?

> I know I can buy the SOF-SERTER from Minimed for
$50.00, and the Glucometer
> Elite from my pharmacy at $75.00, but I hate to pay
retail for these.

> I already have one of each, but I'd like to keep a
backup set at the office.

email @ redacted
> DX ~18 years  Minimed 507 pumping Humalog ~ 5
months --& It's great!
http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/

> Insulin-Pumpers website
http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 20:34:46 -0400
> From: "barry bruce" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] kick the computer
>
> maybe someone could call her and tell her to kick
her computer. maybe that
> will unstick it like an old jukebox in a smokey
poolhall. not that i would
> know anything about them kind'a places.
> NO SURRENDER  NO RETREAT!
> BARRY BRUCE
> email @ redacted
> icq: 10047360
> Insulin-Pumpers website
http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 17:36:25 -0700
> From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Gastroparesis challenges
>
> - --------------E60626D6DF88A49539CD2901
>
> Lori,
>
> I've never found anyone terribly helpful on
gastroparesis although my
> access to good medical care has been uneven and
when I first had
> terrible problems in 1989 or so doctors seemed
pretty uninformed or it
> had not yet been much established or discussed.
>
> I've never found any of the prescribed courses for
living with
> gastroparesis to work more than one or two meals
out of ten and my
> doctor did confirm that few of the things that are
supposed to work
> actually work well as a system for most people.  I
think most of us
> experiment and find ways to combine ideas.  I
should emphasize that
> these ideas don't always work either so see what
works for you.  I
> usually find I have to give things a whole week to
figure out how they
> are going.
>
> - -Less fat of course but if I eat absolutely no
fat, I find that even an
> apple starts to get slower and slower.
>
> - -Some but not much protein.  For instance your
skim milk is half protein
> which seems to slow things down.
>
> - -Lots of vegetables and complex carbs -- i.e.
rice, potatoes, veggie
> pasta (no fat) work great after about 2 weeks which
seems to what my
> body needs to adjust.  Medium small portions seem
to work best.  When I
> do lots of this, eat either one small portion of
protein 1-2 times a day
> or one med-big portion every 2-4 days and if I walk
a reasonable amount
> things seem to improve drastically and stay that
way for much longer
> blocks of time.
>
> The last by the way is NOT what many healthcare
profs will tell you to
> do and some will be scandalized.  I haven't been
able to figure out why
> the last item works so much better than anything
else but I have a few
> hypotheses:
>
>     When I eat only simple carbs and protein my
body's ability to handle
> more complex foods tends to deteriorate rapidly (as
does my kidney
> function).  This could be something similar to what
happens when you
> stop eating meat for a substantial period of time
-- i.e. the enzymes
> needed to digest the meat are not as readily
accessible when you first
> eat some again.
>
>     Protein is just slow to digest.  You need some.
 But if its taking
> days to get through my system, I think the
additional protein slows
> things down even more -- kind of like sending more
stuff down a
> partially clogged drain.
>
>     The veggies and complex carbs are far healthier
than most of what
> diabetics are told to eat.  They taste good and are
easy to prepare in
> attractive ways and they contain lots of vitamins
and nutrients.  Maybe
> all those extra nutrients just make me feel better?
>
> Best of lucj!  Hope things get better!
>
> Ruth
>
> LBE FSD wrote:
>
> >   I'm having huge challenges with the
gastroparesis again this week.
> > Lunch works ok -- because I just drink my skim
milk.  Solids are
> > another story (even tho I'm not coming anywhere
close to fat).  I had
> > been using a square wave with a 30 minute
duration for breakfast, and
> > bolusing 1/2 and using a square wave with a 1
hour duration at night.
> > Now I'm up to 1 hour for breakfast and 11/2 hours
(all square wave)
> > for supper.  From 11/2 to 2 hours after a meal
I'm down to my magic
> > number -- 46 today anyway.  Earlier this week I
was just beginning the
> > downward spiral at 2 hours postprandial - the
type of spiral that
> > feels horrible and that glucose doesn't cure.
Suggestions please.  I
> > called my endo on Wednesday, actually about the
highs that result
> > about 6 hours after the lows go away.
Unfortunately, I got put to the
> > CDE that doesn't like data, just her cookbook.
Her cookbook for me
> > says EAT.  I called the endo again yesterday, he
was out at a remote
> > clinic and didn't call back today.  Frustration
abounds --Loridx '71,
> > MM507 only 21/2 months ago -- shouldn't they
still be helping?

BACKGROUND="cid:email @ redacted">
> Lori,
>
> <P>I've never found anyone terribly helpful on
gastroparesis although my
> access to good medical care has been uneven and
when I first had terrible
> problems in 1989 or so doctors seemed pretty
uninformed or it had not yet
> been much established or discussed.
>
> <P>I've never found any of the prescribed courses
for living with gastroparesis
> to work more than one or two meals out of ten and
my doctor did confirm
> that few of the things that are supposed to work
actually work well as
> a system for most people.  I think most of us
experiment and find
> ways to combine ideas.  I should emphasize that
these ideas don't
> always work either so see what works for you.  I
usually find I have
> to give things a whole week to figure out how they
are going.

> <P>-Less fat of course but if I eat absolutely no
fat, I find that even
> an apple starts to get slower and slower.
>
> <P>-Some but not much protein.  For instance your
skim milk is half
> protein which seems to slow things down.
>
> <P>-Lots of vegetables and complex carbs -- i.e.
rice, potatoes, veggie
> pasta (no fat) work great after about 2 weeks which
seems to what my body
> needs to adjust.  Medium small portions seem to
work best.  When
> I do lots of this, eat either one small portion of
protein 1-2 times a
> day or one med-big portion every 2-4 days and if I
walk a reasonable amount
> things seem to improve drastically and stay that
way for much longer
> blocks of time.
>
> <P>The last by the way is NOT what many healthcare
profs will tell you
> to do and some will be scandalized.  I haven't been
able to figure
> out why the last item works so much better than
anything else but I have
> a few hypotheses:

=== message truncated ===